Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thing #44 Foursquare

Although I don't own a phone that has the capablities necessary to become involved in Foursquare I do have a few thougts after watching the video and reading about it.

First, the down side I see: The fact that others know my whereabouts (and I think expecially for children and teens) really freaks me out. Keep in mind that I work with sex offenders, so I'm acutely aware of the dangers out there. I would not allow my children to engage in this activity and I would hope that other parents would feel the same way. There are many other "games" that are much safer out there.

The good side I see: For busisnesses and libraries this could be a real benefit. Advertising specials, activities, etc. could really make businesses pop. In a library setting, people could share their favorite books, etc. and libraries could do their own advertising to increase patronage. Since libraries already do such a great job at programming, I can see many ways they could work Foursquare into them to make things even more fun or challenging.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand your concerns. I do believe that you can make your account private enough that only your Foursquare friends can see where you've checked in. So, in the teens example, they could limit who could see where they are. Hopefully, that would include a parent.

    ReplyDelete