Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thing # 38 Use things to market your library

I am simply amazed at the number of free resources available on-line one can use to market anything. I recently checked out the new website for the Northeast Library System and I'm really impressed and found myself drawn in by looking at the pictures and reading a few of the articles.

Pictures speak volumes and a streaming video on a site like U-Tube could be used in so many ways to market a library's services and programs. There have been so many times I would like to have attended a program at our public library, but my schedule just didn't allow it. How wonderful it would be to have the option to watch it on-line and respond.

As everyone knows who have read my blog, the majority of my patrons don't have Internet access, but after doing the survey for staff, I think I could actually create a blog or even use this one to reach out and get them excited about reading. I could promote reading and the use of our library by creating an on-line book club.

Our staff patrons rarely have time to visit the library to see what's new because of their hectic schedules (and mine), but by reaching out using Web 2.0 services, this would become possible. This would enable me to promote new materials and provide programming to staff for the first time ever.

Since this is all very new to me and I've not had the experience using multiple services at once, it would take some time, thought, and assistance from some of you who are in the know to get it set up, but I believe something like a bookclub could easily flow over into Twitter or Facebook resulting in increasing our library users, drawing more users than before, and providing a platform for users to get to know each other and explore what our library has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. Ellen - Creating an online book club for people who don't have the time to meet regularly is a great idea. I'm glad you're trying out all these new things - I hope you're enjoying it! And don't forget, after you have written and published YOUR blog post, return to the Nebraska Learns 2.0 blog and leave a comment on OUR original post on that Thing. Your comment should direct readers back to YOUR blog post on the Thing. This is how we will know you are done with the Thing, and how others can see what you've written. The easiest way to do this is to include the permalink of your blog post in the comment. You can find out how to do this on our website at http://nelearns.blogspot.com/2009/03/faq_20.html#permalink

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am discovering that there is so much to learn to be able to use these sites. Here it is Dec. and I'm just reading this comment Christa posted in July.

    ReplyDelete